MIDI CC's.

Share tricks you discover using VS products with the world.
Forum rules
Hey, a tip! You can subscribe to this forum by clicking Subscribe to Forum at the very bottom of the page!
Sam Gossner
Founder
DAW: Sonar Platinum, Finale 2014

MIDI CC's.

Postby Sam Gossner » January 9th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Did you know...?

You can use MIDI CCs to control many elements in the Maize (VSTi/AU) plugins. Unfortunately the knobs do not move automatically to show the change, but the difference is audible.

Check out this MIDI CC list: http://nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list

Here are a few CCs to be familiar with:
CC1: Modulation - used to control synthetic vibrato on some instruments (feature not present on most instruments), mallet switching on Xylophone, and tremolo release tail on/off on Dan Tranh.
CC6: Pitch Bend Range - you can use this with the Dan Tranh to adjust the range of pitch bend. Each increment (should) mean one more half-step in pitch bend range.
CC7: Volume - controls the volume of the instrument. Recommended to set once, then use CC#11 to control dynamic volume during performance.
CC10: Pan - you can control the pan of the instrument dynamically using this CC. Note that if you pan the MIDI channel in your DAW, sometimes that can send a signal in this channel to also pan the instrument, so be careful not to pan too far or else things will end up hard L or R.
CC11: Expression - used to control the volume of the instrument dynamically throughout piece.
CC64: Damper/Sus Pedal - activate past 64 to make instruments hold until released.
CC73: Attack - (theoretically) adjusts attack length.
CC91: Reverb Amount - Controls the reverb amount. If you are experiencing unwanted reverb that won't turn off, try setting a "0" signal on this channel.

Note that with Kontakt instruments, you can make your own custom CC mappings by right-clicking on any knob or slider in the UI.

Musical Gym

Re: MIDI CC's.

Postby Musical Gym » January 9th, 2016, 3:39 pm

I appreciate the cc info, as that's been one of my gray areas for quite some time.

Musical Gym

Postby Musical Gym » January 9th, 2016, 3:40 pm

one more try...just posted but it doesn't show up

Sam Gossner
Founder

Postby Sam Gossner » January 9th, 2016, 3:42 pm

Musical Gym wrote:one more try...just posted but it doesn't show up

Sorry about that- working out the kinks. Currently the system needs a moderator to approve the first three posts of a new member. Glad you found that helpful!

Musical Gym

Postby Musical Gym » January 9th, 2016, 3:43 pm

That's ok, I realized it needed approval after the fact. Now I'm looking for a way to be notified about specific topics.

Sam Gossner
Founder

Postby Sam Gossner » January 9th, 2016, 3:45 pm

Musical Gym wrote:That's ok, I realized it needed approval after the fact. Now I'm looking for a way to be notified about specific topics.

Hmm... there should be a wrench icon to the right of the "reply" button at the top, with a dropdown. There should be an option to subscribe if you are not subscribed already. Also, when replying to a topic, or posting a new topic, you can select the option "Notify me when a reply is posted" below.

Musical Gym

Postby Musical Gym » January 9th, 2016, 3:46 pm

thanks

Return to “Tips & Tricks”